Saturday, October 14, 2006

Burnin’ Down the House

I am writing today about a toxic chemical crisis that I expect will be unfolding in the public eye in the next few years as the research is published, and bio-monitoring initiatives are more widespread. I’m talkin’ about stuff on stuff to keep it from burning; flame retardants. Most consumer goods are treated with them, and that has been positive - a marked reduction in loss of life in the case of a fire, as well as minimizing total damages to personal property. The problem is that these flame retardants, commonly from the polybrominated diphenol ether family (PBDE) don’t bond snugly with the material they are applied to/mixed with. This means that over time, this chemical is released into our homes and out our doors into the air.

So what does this mean to us? PBDE’s are showing up in alarming quantities in the breast milk of mothers in industrialized nations (US women have the highest levels). PBDE’s are in household dust (think baby, crawling on floor, hand in mouth, consuming dust…you get the picture). So our most vulnerable population is being exposed to increasing amounts of this stuff, and no one is quite sure what it does to humans. It is a suspected developmental neurotoxin that interferes with thyroid function, may cause learning deficits, and is generally not so healthy. Researchers are working hard to provide more specific data that could drive policy and manufacturing changes, but that will take awhile.

Regarding the safety of breast feeding, please take a moment to read Florence William’s article on this subject. She is funny, compassionate and well-informed. Based on her information and my independent research, I feel that the benefits of nursing still outweigh the risks (for now). I nursed Joseph, and I plan on nursing Joshua when he arrives.

So why isn’t this stuff banned? Certain versions of are being phased out, especially in the EU (penta & octa). But the most common of all, the decaPBDE, is still widely used. What can you do to limit exposure to yourself and your child? It really is everywhere, even in the arctic, so you can’t avoid it. I like to think that reducing exposure is helpful, so here are what I believe to be the largest sources in our home (in no particular order):

The mattress: anything with foam needs flame retardants, and mattresses need to meet flammability standards. Bottomline – I feel like they are loaded, and I spend a lot of time with my face buried in it. Many chem-free versions are available that will still meet flammability requirements.

The computer (and other consumer electronics): Some computer companies are voluntarily reducing or eliminating the use of PBDE’s in the manufacturing process. Great if you can buy a new computer. I am sitting in front of an old laptop. Deca-laced breast milk, anyone?

The carpet: Carpets are nasty, awful old things that I am sure I will address at a later date. Synthetic carpets are treated for flammability. Go natural if possible..but watch that wool! It was probably impregnated with permethrins to control moths (again, more on this later).

Old Foam: I promptly discard any foam that is dry or crumbly (like old changing table pads) .

Dust: It stands to reason that if the compound is found in dust, then reducing dust in the home may be helpful. I don’t go too crazy here. But when I think of it, I wet mop or dust with a damp rag (vacuuming and dry dusting will just move it around). Additionally, I try to wash my hands and the baby’s hands before eating.

Food: Our poor friends the fish store a lot of everything bad, so if you haven’t already been avoiding some of the bigger guys due to mercury and PCB concerns, here’s another reason to go as low/small on the food chain as possible. I use standard mercury guidelines to decide which fish to eat. Additionally, since PBDE’s love to hang out with fat, low fat meats and dairy might help limit exposure.

That’s about it. decaPBDE’s are on electrical wires, in cars, airplanes, offices, furniture etc., so there is a limited amount that can be done to avoid them. Some of the measures I am taking may help reduce the total body burden for me and my family, but at the end of the day, it may very well be like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home